Friday, September 19, 2014

Punjab: Buddha says "A child without courage is like a night without stars!" from Annie

Yesterday we visited Betty-June's FORMER orphanage. 
It was hard. From the moment my sweet girl woke up her countenance was downcast. All morning she was sad. 
Betty-June chose to wear the new dress she picked out at the mall. I know she was afraid I was going to leave her. I guess she wanted to make sure she at least had her new dress. I used the translator app to tell her. I was going to take her to my home to be my daughter forever. But she wasn't convinced. 
We met Miko, our guide at 1 for the 45 minute ride. Baby girl fell asleep in the van on the way there. 
When I woke her up she was still unsure. We went in and did the usual 'go to the conference room exchange pleasantries and exchange gifts'. They were very kind.  Her teacher brought in her workbooks for her to take with her. One nanny brought in a little girl I was checking  on for her mom-to-be. Them we went to see some important places to Betty-June.  Along the way we we met her two best friends. She just clung to me the whole time. One of the boys pleaded with me to find a family for him. He is seven and he has a repaired cleft lip and palate. His speech is effected but his mind is sharp. 
Here is his picture
He is Bart Simpson boy from Betty-June's birthday pictures 
He really, really wants a mama and baba. He also said he is a good big brother(guhguh). Break my heart much?
Then I got to meet  2 if their newest additions. 2 thal babies, a boy and a girl. The director said they were preparing their paperwork to make them available for adoption. She gave me their info and Miko is translating it for me. Here are there pictures. 
Baby boy looked so pale. There isn't a lot of color in his lips. 
Here is the girl
She looked better but oh my heart these kids!
When it was time to go Betty-June could not leave fast enough. 

It was a hard day, a very hard day. If you can walk thru an orphanage and hear the little voices begging, begging I tell you, for a family and not be moved, you my friend have no heart. 

After the visit we have turned a corner.  I'm not calling her Ling any more. She is no longer Liu Ling the orphan. I have started calling her Betty-JuneLing. Easing into just Betty-June. 

Adopting a 7 year old is a lot different than adopting a baby. Her fear and sorrow is so real, so palpable it blankets the whole experience. 

I promise a lighter post next time. 







No comments:

Post a Comment