Sunday, September 21, 2014

Can only get brighter

So we finally left the orphanage. It should have taken between an 45 min and an hour to get back to the hotel. The most important word in that sentence is SHOULD. 
We got lost. Miko and the driver were both using their cell phone navigation to try to find the way back. I got to see old Huadu village. And by old Huadu village I mean narrow,narrow alleyways. We were in a minivan. The alleys were 1 minivan and 6 inches wide. We were list for over an hour. We did more u turns than a dozen scrabble games. And Betty-June slept the whole time!  Good times, good times. 
Let's see that was Thursday. Friday  morning we went to the Guangdong museum in the morning. It was ok but Betty-June tires pretty easy. 
Saturday she and I went to Shamain Island and did some shopping. Chinese taxi cabs are really fun. And by really fun I mean 'OH MY GOSH, ARE YOU FREAKING INSANE?'  It's not just a drive, it's a near death experience. 
The afternoon brought more paperwork. Want to feel stupid?  Answer this question:
What is the correct way to write the date?
A) September 19, 2014
B) 9/19/14
C) 19/9/14
D) 19/SEP/2014

Answer: it depends and no matter which way you write it there is a 75% chance you are wrong. 
And since I am here solo, Betty-June gets to go with me to these paperwork parties. Fortunately she is an angel and more patient than I deserve. 
Today we visited the pearl and jade market and Chen Ancestral Hall. 
Here are a few pictures from the last few days. 









3 comments:

  1. I haven't been commenting but I have been praying! Sounds like a CRAZY adventure you two are having! I will keep praying for health and SAFETY!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Don't stop praying yet. We are headed home tomorrow (yippee!!)

      Delete
  2. 2014/09/19. Best of luck to you and your family!

    ReplyDelete