Thursday, September 11, 2014

"Don't Panic." — The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

So, ok, here I am at 4:15 am unable to sleep.  Too many thoughts making too much noise in my brain keeping me awake.
Few bits about my upcoming adventure to share with you, asking for prayers all along the way.
1. It will be a 25 hour trip to get to the city that Betty-June is in. I will leave Pittsburgh at 8 tonight and arrive in Guangzhou, China at 9am Saturday morning(9pm Friday night EST) That is right folks, for the 4th time in my life I will experience the miracle of time travel!  Seriously though, what an age we live in that we can travel half way around the world in only 25 hours! The plane from Chicago will fly for 15 hours to Hong Kong WITHOUT STOPPING!

2. Once in Guangzhou (gwan jo)I will have a few days to get adjusted to the time difference before I will meet my sweet girl on Monday.  My guess is it will be around 3 pm, so 3 am Monday morning for folks at home.  We will both travel to the Civil Affairs office, me from the hotel and her from her orphanage. Once I meet her(and have tears running down my face like a goof) she will stay with me after that.  It is a 'jump in the deep end of the pool' kind of moment.  I pray she isn't too scared of me or the situation, but if she is she has every right to be. Let the record show, however, that I am not above bribery! Toys, snacks and goodies are packed and I will be buying more goodies in country before I meet her.

3. After our first night together we will go back to the Civil Affairs office the next day to make her adoption final.  She officially becomes our daughter there.  Hallelujah! At this point I grab her in a bear hug and squeal, "Mine, mine, all mine."  Well, at least in my mind that is what is happening, in all reality I will be crying and hugging her.

4. At some point during the next week we will probably visit her orphanage, a step meant for closure for her. We will go back so she can say goodbye to her nannies and friends.(cue more waterworks)   At 7 years old she has a whole life she knows and she will be leaving everything and everyone familiar.  A chance for a proper goodbye will be important.

5. Also at some point during the week she will have her medical examination.  Since she is over two years old, she will have a blood test for TB. Parents are not allowed to accompany the kids for the blood draw.  Ya, I'm not a fan of that policy and it would certainly not fly here at home but when in Rome....  Plus I know that needle sticks are routine for her so she should have an idea what is going on.  Then Mommy gets to be the hero by loving on her and smooching the boo-boo afterwards.

6. Monday the 22nd we will go to the US Consulate for our appointment.  It's usually a quick appointment, but after that Betty-June will be a US citizen as soon as we get back to Chicago.

7. Early the 25th we will take a van back to Hong Kong and board the Chicago-bound plane for Betty-June's first plane ride.  Talk about baptism by fire!  First flight=15 hours,  Dramamine all around! And after a quick stop in Chicago it is on to Pittsburgh and home.

8. I will be in Guangzhou for 10 days with a few official appointments.  During the in between time we will be doing some touristy fun stuff, eating some yummy food, playing games, hitting the hotel pool and doing our best to communicate.  Remember she speaks Mandarin and I know enough Mandarin to order a fruit salad and glass of water!

I wish I could take you all with me.  But I know your prayers go with me.  Not going to lie, I'm more than a little nervous going without Matt, he's my best friend and co-conspirator.  I'm going to miss him and the kids like crazy. But one of my kids is in China and needs me to come get her.  So what's a mommy going to do but go.




No comments:

Post a Comment